Shipping a car from coast to coast requires a moderate amount of planning. Luckily, when you bring on the expertise of a professional shipping company to transport it, a lot of that planning is no longer your responsibility. Some people may think that driving their car across the country has many advantages, especially when it comes to the pricing. What they do not factor in is the potential for breakdowns, automobile accidents, and the increased need for maintenance either before or after the trip. That is why these professional companies acquire credible reputations for shipping cars across the country.
Factors To Take Into Consideration When Shipping A Car
The price of shipping a car is proportionate to some key factors. When you call an auto shipping company for a quote, they will ask you a series of questions about your vehicle and where you need to ship it to. The person on the other end of the phone is not being this thorough because they are nosey. The process can be intimidating, especially if you are a first-time car owner who has never had to transport their vehicle before. Rest assured, the representative is legitimately trying to provide you with the most accurate quote available.
- What is the make, model, and year of your car? - This question is used to assess the weight of your vehicle. Different makes and models have different weights due to the manufacturer specs.
- Does your vehicle run? Is it driveable? - A car that does run or is not driveable requires special equipment and considerations to be made. The use of special equipment costs more than if the transport driver can drive it onto the trailer.
- Where are the pickup and dropoff locations? - The number of miles will factor in the pricing of your car's shipping. The more miles are driven, typically, the cheaper the rate charged per mile.
- What method of transport do you require? - Car shipping, right? Wrong! There are different methods available for shipping your car. The most commonly utilized types of trailers are open-air transport or using enclosed transport. Open-air transport is cheaper, but it makes your car vulnerable to the elements. Enclosed transport costs more, but your vehicle is protected on all sides.
- When do you want the transport to take place? - Like any other industry, auto transport companies experience a peak season and days of the week. If you require a higher demand date and time, you may end up paying for the competitive spot.
The Approximate Cost of Coast to Coast Car Shipping
Once the company has all the information about your car shipment, they will prepare a quote for you. This quote should also be sent to you in writing, most likely via email. Depending on the factors you have given the representative, you can expect to spend $1,000, if not closer to $1500 for a coast to coast car shipment.
Keep in mind that all those factors will determine a lot of your pricing. However, you are also getting the professional drivers and the companies insurance, plus any additional you may have opted for. The idea of using a professional car shipping company is the ability to keep your car safe while it is being transported across the country. Don't trust your vehicle to just anyone, call a reputable company who treats your car like it is their own. After all, your vehicle should be their main priority during transport.