The 1976 Cadillac Eldorado described as the last of a magnificent breed. The name Eldorado originated from the Spanish word "el dorado" which means "cover with gold" or in English "the yellow one". They are producing cars since 1953 to 2002 from tenth generations.
They chose the name "Eldorado" from an international competition in 1952 to celebrate Cadillac's Golden Anniversary in an honor to the great mythical Golden City of El Dorado. This 1976 Eldorado was a seventh-generation car produced from 1971 to 1978.
In September of 1975, they introduced the golden car to the public and it was 1976 Cadillac Eldorado. This was the last year of production for Eldorado convertible as their coupes were becoming more and more popular.
The Cadillac Eldorado underwent an extensive redesigning from the previous generation. They lengthened the wheelbase of the car and added fender skirts. They also made minor changes at the grille, tail lamps and headlights. The car was large, luxurious and very heavy weighing over 5,153 pounds. The V8 engine was large too, displacing 500 cubic inches and powering the front wheels.
Interior features such as power windows, air conditioning, seats, and locks. It also came with a convertible top with a tilt steering column and cruise control. A 500 Cl big-block was mated to an automatic transmission and sends power to the front wheels.
The Eldorado also features the optional top-of-the-line fuel injected engine with an induction configuration that boosted by 25 horsepower over the base unit. It was a front-wheel drive vehicle that had standard four-wheel power discs brakes, power steering and steel-belted radial white wall tires.
Eldorado sales surged up to 14,000 units convertibles produced for 1976 model. They marketed their last 2,000 Eldorado convertibles production as limited edition. They intended the last 200 units of the 1976 Cadillac Eldorado for "Bicentennial Editions" and painted white with red and blue pin striping.