The amount of deaths linked to faulty ignition switches in vehicles made by General Motors rose by three this week to 100 as attorneys Kenneth Feinberg and Camille Biros look to finish compensating victims by this summer.
GM originally said that just 13 deaths were linked to the defective part, but that number has increased every week since the automaker opened its victims compensation fund last August.
The fund has ruled 100 death claims are eligible for compensation so far while 227 have been ruled ineligible, according to the most recent report by the compensation fund.
The amount of injury claims deemed eligible rose from 179 to 184 since last week. This amount includes 12 "Category One" claims like permanent brain damage or amputation.
The fund received approximately 4,342 claims by the Jan. 31 deadline and 626 claims are still under review.
Approximately 1,759 claims have been deemed ineligible and 1,633 were either deficient or submitted without documentation, according to the report.
GM made headlines last year after recalling 2.6 million vehicles with faulty ignition switches despite knowing about the issue for more than a decade.
The defective switches can slip out of the "on" position, causing vehicles to stall and disabling important safety features like air bags.
So far, GM dealers have replaced about 70 percent of recalled ignition switches, according to USA Today.
GM has paid $200 million to compensate victims and their families as of March 31. The company set aside $550 million to compensate victims though that number could increase before all is said and done.
Feinberg has made 193 compensation offers, of which 140 have been accepted. Those who accept an offer made by Feinberg waive their right to sue the Detroit automaker.