The U.S. Treasury received $489.9 million for shares of General Motors sold in February. (Photo : Wikimedia Commons)
General Motors announced that they will be opening an Information Technology Innovation Center in Warren, MI in an effort to reverse the outsourcing trend while improving the company's IT reputation.
Over the next couple of years, 1,500 high-tech jobs will be available to qualified individuals in an effort to support GM's new stance on IT services. GM currently only does around 10 percent of their IT work in the U.S. while the other 90 percent is outsourced to other countries. The company wants to reverse those two numbers in the next couple of years.
Like Us on Facebook
"GM is executing an IT best practice by insourcing IT services and making them a strategic part of assuring GM remains a fast-moving leader," said Rob Enderle, principal analyst at Enderle Group on the GM website. "This is also one of the best opportunities for IT professionals to work in the automotive industry."
The IT Center will play a key role in GM's IT business strategy, as the company is looking to create a better IT service for their customers. The IT Center will be working on improving new capabilities and the overall IT performance of the company.
To help the company succeed in their mission, they are moving to a more in-sourced IT business service model as part of the complete transformation.
GM will be visiting college campuses around the nation this fall and will be seen at job fairs as well to find those who might be interested in working at the plant or even IT experts looking for work.
Positions that will be available to those interested include software development, business analysis, database and project management, among others.
The announcement comes a just month a month after GM opened a similar IT center in Austin, TX. That plant is schedules to hire 500 workers within the next couple of years.
The company has stressed that you don't need to be a car expert to work at GM. If you have some basic knowledge of the company and have a passion for IT support, then one of the available positions may be something to consider.