Lincoln to Phase Out MKS Production by 2016

Jun 13, 2015 07:11 AM EDT | Matt Mercuro

Bad news Lincoln MKS fans: Ford has announced that it will phase out the sedan by next year.

The Detroit automaker said in a statement this week that while production for the Ford Taurus, Explorer and Interceptors will remain the same, the 2016 model year MKS will be the last, according to USA Today.

"Chicago Assembly Plant is vital to our global manufacturing footprint and will continue to manufacture the Ford Taurus, Ford Explorer and Police Interceptor vehicles even after we phase out production of the MKS in 2016," Ford said in a press statement. "We will continue to match production to demand."

This means car buyers can expect big discounts for the once promising ride. Lincoln's current flagship car currently goes for around $40,000 to $55,000, though sales have been slow lately.

Sales have dropped by more than 14 percent as of last month, and Ford delivered only 16,000 MKS vehicles during the first five months of 2015, according to USA Today.

Ford said that they'll start making the brand-new 2017 Lincoln Continental around the same time they phase out the MKS.

Ford says that production for the Continental is expected to start somewhere around spring 2016, according to Automotive News. Production could take place at Ford's Flat Rock Michigan plant though nothing is set in stone yet.

© 2017 Auto World News, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Get the Most Popular Autoworld Stories in a Weekly Newsletter

Join the Conversation

Real Time Analytics