Deaths Linked to GM Ignition Switches Rises to 111

Jun 08, 2015 01:51 PM EDT | Matt Mercuro

Close

The death toll linked to faulty ignition switches found in vehicles made by General Motors increased once again on Monday by 2 to a total of 111.

The fund, which is run by attorney Ken Feinberg, said it has also approved 12 new injury claims, raising the overall amount to 220, according to GM's latest ignition switch claims facility report.

Of those injuries approved by Feinberg's office, 179 were for minor injuries and 12 are for those that sustained a serious injury like permanent brain damage or a double amputation.

GM's compensation fund has made about 229 offers so far to victims or their families, 161 of which have been accepted and six that have been rejected, according to The Detroit News.

Those who accept an offer made by the compensation fund waive their right to sue GM.

As of June 5, 2,357 claims were determined ineligible and 191 are still under review by the Feinberg's office.

Last year, GM called back more than 30 million cars, 2.6 of which over faulty ignition switches that could be moved from the run position, thus turning off safety features like brakes, air bags and power steering.

As of March 31, the Detroit-based automaker has paid $200 million in order to settle claims filed with Feinberg. GM set aside $550 million to compensate victims, though Feinberg has said multiple times there is no cap limit on how much his office can spend in order to compensate ignition switch victims.

The compensation fund received 4,342 overall claims before the Jan. 31 deadline.

See Now: OnePlus 6: How Different Will It Be From OnePlus 5?

© 2020 Auto World News, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Get the Most Popular Autoworld Stories in a Weekly Newsletter

Join the Conversation

Real Time Analytics