GM Death Count Reaches 56 as Fund Hits 4,312 Claims

Feb 16, 2015 05:00 PM EST | Jordan Ecarma

The fund set up by General Motors to give compensation to those injured or the families of those killed in GM vehicles has confirmed 56 deaths so far, Reuters reported.

After receiving 75 more claims last week, the total claims related to faulty ignition switches are at 4,312. Those include 478 death claims, 288 claims for severe injuries and 3,546 for less-serious injuries.

The 56 deaths have been determined eligible for compensation along with nine catastrophic injuries and 78 less severe injuries. A report from attorney Kenneth Feinberg, who is administering the fund, said that 513 claims had been deemed ineligible, while 1,388 are still being reviewed and another 1,198 claims did not include any documentation.

The deadline for claims passed on Jan. 31, but the fund reportedly received an influx of last-minute claims that were postmarked by that date and therefore eligible for review.  

The fund launched in August to provide restitution for injuries and deaths in GM small cars equipped with faulty ignition switches, which could suddenly turn off the engine while driving and simultaneously disable the air bags.

GM has set aside an initial $400 million for the compensation fund, but the automaker has said it could rise to $600 million depending on how many claims are deemed eligible. 

© 2017 Auto World News, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Get the Most Popular Autoworld Stories in a Weekly Newsletter

Join the Conversation

Real Time Analytics